Coming To Boston's City Hall Plaza
"Legendarium," from the Big Apple Circus, is where the nostalgic thrills of bygone Big Tops combine with a first–hand view of Beauties, Daredevils and Clowns from another era! The Big Apple's all-new 35th anniversary season production will play its annual Boston engagement at City Hall Plaza from March 26 - May 12.
Audiences will travel back to witness: Incredible acts that would have the villagers chattering for days! Courageous mid-air flips and catches from a man on the trapeze! A captivating contortionist whose flexibility is as impressive as her steadfast poise! An agile, adept acrobat and her strapping suitors! A swaying wire act of sure-footed strength and stability! The dizzying delights of a daring inventor in his tumbling, twirling hoop! The stunning, soaring beauty of a pair on aerial straps and a woman held aloft by hanging silks! A jaw-dropping juggling tango team performing to passionate rhythms! Bicyclists whose spinning wheels turn smooth and speedy stunts! Majestic horses with graceful gaits and playful pups with teasing tricks! And what circus would be complete without bumbling clowns who bring the spirit of timeless comedy.
With no seat more than 50 feet from the stage, the merriment
is led by an affable Ringmaster while the great Big Apple Circus
Band plays iconic songs of yesteryear.
• From the United States -- the Acrobuffos, the husband-and-wife clown team, bring their slapstick comedy.
• From Bulgaria -- Andrey Mantchev takes to the skies in a solo trapeze act of mid-air flips and jaw-dropping catches.
• From China -- the all-female Dalian Acrobatic Troupe performs perilous poses of superior synchronization on bicycles.
• From Canada -- Daniel Cyr spirals and spins around the ring in a steel hoop of his own invention.
• From Russia -- breathtaking duo Desire of Flight (Valeriy Sychev and Malvina Abakarova) defies gravity in soaring stunts on aerial straps.
• From Russia -- Katerina is a lithe vision of grace wrapped and whirling in aerial silks.
• From Argentina -- Elayne Kramer astounds with a backbone as flexible as an archer’s bow.
• From France and the Netherlands -- Emily and Menno van Dyke combine the dramatic passion of tango with rhythmic juggling for a dance of flawless coordination.
• From the United States -- Jenny Vidbel presents her handsome horses, prancing ponies, and perky pups.
• From the United States-- John Kennedy Kane is the debonair ringmaster guiding you through the world of the circus.
• From Hungary -- the Quinterion Troupe demonstrates unparalleled power as sculpted men flip, throw, and catch a fearless maiden.
• From China -- Zhang Fan faces the ultimate test of balance, performing stunts of sheer strength on a swaying slack wire.
West Hyler makes his Big Apple Circus debut as Ringmaster.
John Lee Beatty, member of the Theater Hall of Fame, brings nearly four decades of New York experience as set designer. With a career spanning theater, film, resorts, and dance, Mirena Rada returns with her stunning costume designs. Tony Award-winner Howell Binkley brings extensive experience and expertise as the Big Apple's lighting designer. Five-time winner of the MAC Award for Technical Direction, JP Perreaux returns to the circus as sound designer. And as always, the Big Apple Circus Band enthralls under the musical direction of maestro Rob Slowik.
For 35 years the Big Apple Circus, New York’s original one-ring circus, has been delighting audiences of all ages under its Big Top by presenting the finest in live family entertainment featuring world-class circus artistry. The Big Apple Circus is a not-for-profit performing arts and outreach institution committed to invigorating the communities it serves with the joy and wonder of classical circus. Variety calls the Big Apple, “The finest up-close circus in America.”
The Big Top is heated in cold weather and air-conditioned when it's warm for all–season comfort! The show's running time is 2 hours, including a 15 minute intermission. Tickets begin at $20 with premium seating available for select performances.
The box office on City Hall Plaza will open on March 25. Prior to that date, tickets may be purchased by calling 888-541-3750 or by visiting bigapplecircus.org.
-- OnStage Boston
To receive an email Update when new pages are posted at OnStage Boston, click here.
© 2002-2004 RJD Associates. All Rights Reserved.
No portion of this site may be reprinted or reproduced without prior written permission.